Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese with Leeks

Let me start off by saying I am not really into macaroni and cheese; I do not even like Kraft macaroni and cheese, but I must admit that I am a sucker for a good bowl of homemade macaroni and cheese. I came across this recipe for macaroni and cheese with leeks and just had to try it. Before this making this dish I had never eaten a leek before, but I love onions and green onions, so I figured that leeks would be just as good. Turned out the leeks were really good and they blended really well with the macaroni and cheese, which made this dish amazing in my opinion.



What you need:

1/4 cup butter
5 cups chopped leeks (about 5)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
1 pound (4 cups) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 eggs
1 pound penne pasta

Directions:

Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat; add leeks and stir to coat. Cover saucepan and cook until leeks are tender, but not brown, stirring occasionally; about 12 minutes.

Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Add milk; bring to simmer, stirring often.

Add cheese and mustard, and stir until cheese melts.

Remove from heat; salt to taste. Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling. Drain and return to pot. Stir cheese sauce into pasta in pot. Transfer to buttered casserole dish.

Bake at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes; until cheese sauce is bubbling. Let cool 15 minutes, then serve and enjoy. 

1 comment: